5 Reasons You Have Nothing to Wear
Do you wake up and feel like you have nothing to wear? It’s one of the main reasons clients call us. Perhaps they hate to shop or feel like they are always shopping but never have enough. Other times they’ve had a life event, like weight loss, a new career or personal change. But in the end, it’s almost always because they are tired of waking up in the morning, often looking at a closet full of clothes, and feeling like they have nothing to wear.
If this sounds like you, take a look at our 5 Reasons You Have Nothing to Wear, and how you can make some simple changes to fix it.
1. You are Unclear About Your Personal Style
Knowing your style is the number one key to having a consistent and efficient wardrobe. Until you have a clear understanding of your aesthetic, you’ll find yourself buying pieces that are “just okay” or don’t go with the other items in your wardrobe.
Solution: Take some time to define your style. In our 30 Day Style Challenge, our participants are starting to see how powerful this is first hand. Use Pinterest to create your Personal Style board, and then filter all of your choices through those images. This helps you create a wardrobe that looks like you. (Due to popularity, the next round of our 30 Day Style Challenge will start in a few weeks. Be sure to follow the blog to learn when registration is opened.)
2. You Do Not Have Enough Basics
If you are a frequent shopper, or you exclusively shop sales, you may have many fun pieces, but are limited with how frequently you can wear them. If this is the case, you likely do not have enough basics. From a percentage standpoint, about 70% of your wardrobe should be basics, and most of those pieces should be seasonless. The remaining 30% of your wardrobe can be fun, novelty pieces. It’s here where you can play with trends, patterns, and prints, sequins, etc. Without the basics, you’ll be lacking a core wardrobe, and limiting your mix and match potential.
Solution: Figure out the basic pieces you are missing. If, when you get dressed, you think, “I could use a (fill in the blank)” write it down. Keep a notepad by your closet so you can jot down your thoughts. The next time you shop, only shop from the list. Remember, there’s no list of basics for everyone. If you prefer pants to skirts, there’s no need for a basic black skirt. Only buy the basics that fit your needs.
3. Your Fit is Wrong.
If, when you get dressed, you are taking things on and off because they don’t look quite right, your fit is likely incorrect. When we try to make ill-fitting pieces work, something will look wrong. Unless you have a trained eye, it’s difficult to articulate what it is, and you’ll be left frustrated.
Solution: Take anything you are unsure about to a tailor for a quick once over. Something as simple as a hem, or taking some fullness out of a pair of pants can change your look for the better. When you do shop, utilize stores that offer alterations so you can get it done in one stop. If the stores you frequently do not offer alterations, use an outside tailor before you start to wear them.
4. You Have Too Much Stuff
A closet stuffed with too much prevents you from seeing what you have, limiting your ability to get dressed.
Solution: Edit your wardrobe once a season and keep up the maintenance every few weeks. I like to do a 5-minute tidy when I put away my dry cleaning. It makes the process less daunting.
5. You’re Only Buying One Category
Most of our clients have plenty of clothes for work but lack fun pieces or weekend wear, leaving them bored and scrambling when an event shows up on the calendar.
Solution: Take a look at how you spend your time and see if you have enough for each part of your life. The areas where you feel limited is where you should focus next time you shop.